Category Archives: Community

Industry advice relating to working in film, television, music, theatre, publishing and the media.

Stella Duffy: ‘Here’s why we need to stop ’empowering’ people’

Fun Palaces: Dance, talk or be lifted up

Stella Duffy is the co-director of Fun Palaces which works with local communities to create projects. Fun Palace weekend is 5-6 October. Here she writes for Visionary Arts about how everyone is creative, and the words that we use that sometimes get in the way of that creativity. Let’s stop empowering people. Stop enabling. Don’t […]

How to… become a world-famous cabaret star by Bernie Dieter

Bernie Dieter is the star of The Little Death Club, currently at Underbelly Southbank

I was born in Köln, Germany and I have always had a fascination with Kabarett ever since I was 16 and ran away to Berlin to live above a drag club. My Oma (my grandma) is one of my biggest inspirations as her family owned a circus in Germany just before the war, and when […]

Sherine Chalhie: ‘I aim to explore stories about people from all backgrounds and cultures’

My first show Hijabi Matters is a dramatic comedy that explores identity, culture, family pressure, and forced marriage. Hijabi Matters exposes the fact that forced marriage is happening today in the UK. In 2017 there were over 1000 reported cases of forced marriage in the UK, 25 per cent of which were people under 18. […]

Drag King Lucy Jane Parkinson / LoUis CYfer on starring in Jon Brittain’s Rotterdam: ‘We have removed the shackles from defining what is an entertaining narrative’

Lucy Jane Parkinson - courtesy of Max Zadeh

Lucy Jane Parkinson, aka LoUis CYfer is a British actor and drag king, who encourages conversations about gender binaries through their performance. Lucy has played Joan of Arc in one-person show ‘Joan’, written and directed by Lucy J. Skillbeck for Milk Presents, and performed as part of a cast of four in ‘Bullish’, a retelling of the myth […]

A fertile concept: Fertility Fest 2019 highlights

The world’s first arts festival dedicated to fertility, infertility, reproductive science and modern families will arrive at the Barbican Centre from 23 April  this year. Now in its third year, this event running until 18 May is the only festival shining a light on the struggles and hardship of trying to conceive and doing it […]

The winners of the 2019 Visionary Honours Awards

Awards founder Adrian Grant with Mandla Mandela, Professor Green, Krishnan Guru-Murthy, the UK cast of Hamilton and Kevin Hines

A glittering night was enjoyed by all at the inaugural Visionary Honours 2019, held at BAFTA, London, on 8 February, presented by award-winning comedian and actor Lenny Henry. The celebrities appearing on the night included Malorie Blackman, author of the world-famous Noughts and Crosses novels, the multi-talented Strictly Come Dancing star, Death in Paradise and Red […]

NOMINATIONS: Community person of the year

Rachel Wang

Leila Thomas – Urban Synergy Alarmed at the incidence of violence and disenfranchisement affecting young people of colour, Leila Thomas decided to create an organisation to help support and encourage BAME people to succeed. Urban Synergy Team is her brainchild. Rachel Wang – Chocolate Films Rachel Wang co-founded Chocolate Films in 2001 and has produced […]

NOMINATIONS: Most inspiring person of the year

Stormzy

Colin Kaepernick Colin Kaepernick is an American political activist and professional American football quarterback. He refused to stand for the national anthem at a game between his team the 49ers and the Green Bay Packers in 2016, as a means of protesting racial inequality and police brutality and since has become an unsigned free agent. […]

So many people still feel Shakespeare isn’t for them – I want that to change

Alexandra Afryea who plays Lady Macbeth in Proteus' upcoming production (Credit: D&M Photography)

Earlier this year, on a supremely hot and stuffy London morning I sat in a room full of incredibly talented women and laughed until my face hurt. We were casting a female actor for our production of Macbeth. They were all shapes, ages and sizes; I was putting together an ensemble and therefore had no […]

How is the new Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse film getting young people interested in digital jobs?

Miles Morales, like many young people preparing to leap into the next stage of their lives, is struggling to find out who he is and what he is meant to be

Stepping into the boots of a beloved superhero on the big screen can be a precarious business, (just ask Ben Affleck). But what makes the most recent addition to the genre different, is that Spider-man: Into The Spider-verse aspires to a greater purpose than entertainment alone. The animated film takes a distinctly fresh approach to […]